An open letter to the Rhizome community
It is with both sadness and gratitude that we announce some upcoming transitions at Rhizome. Please read our full letter to our community here.
A friendly, diverse neighbourhood café that serves healthy, fresh food; organic, fairly traded coffee; and offers a fully licensed bar.
And Rhizome is also more than that...
- • We support social justice struggles by hosting events in collaboration with community groups that are working toward a more just, sustainable world for all.
- • We encourage dialogue and mutual learning by making our Community Meeting Room available for meetings and workshops.
- • We build community by providing people with a space to socialize and share information and resources.
- • We help marginalized voices be heard, and highlight visual and performing arts that help us achieve a better understanding of our communities and our world.
Support Rhizome in its work...
Join the Friends of Rhizome and help us to continue our work in the community.
We are open
- Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday: 11am — 10pm
- Friday: 11am — midnight
- Saturday: 10am — midnight
- Sunday: 10am — 3pm (or later if we have an event)
- Saturday & Sunday: Brunch served 10am - 3pm
- (Closed Mondays)
A note on our name: In the botanical sense, a rhizome is a root system that some plants (like lilies and orchids and ginger and bamboo) use to spread themselves about. While the roots of most plants point generally downward, the rhizome is a horizontal root system that runs parallel to the surface of the ground. The plant sends shoots up from nodes in the rhizome, creating what look like many separate plants. These seemingly unrelated individuals are actually all connected, through a system that's not immediately visible to the eye.